Associate Product Engineer
Contract 6+ months 40 hours weekly
Non Exempt, OT is Authorized
100% On Site
As an Associate Product Engineer in the Space and Defense Group Propulsion and Fluids Controls Engineering team, you will provide engineering support for a variety of production and/or development programs involving mechanical or electro-mechanical fluid components, and their associated test equipment systems and software. Reporting to the Engineering Manager and/or assigned mentor, the Associate Product Engineer has partial or full responsibility of the product design and test systems necessary for the sustainment of assigned products that are through qualification, and the transfer of development programs/products into the production environment. Work assignments require some originality and unreviewed action. The incumbent will receive program and technical guidance from the department supervisory personnel, project, senior product, or product engineers, while coordinating efforts with all other necessary functions in operations, supply chain, program management, and contracts.
In summary the Associate Product Engineer is a focal point for resolving all questions/problems concerning the design, manufacture, assembly and test of production hardware. The incumbent initiates changes and deviations to the design or specification requirements. They are the primary contact for customers, vendors, and internal personnel on all technical problems and questions. The incumbent occasionally functions in the manner of a program manager, on technical problems, coordinating client resources for the solution of a problem and communicating timely information to the affected groups within Moog and to the customer/supplier levels.
To be considered for this position, the candidate must have a minimum of a BS Engineering Degree, preferably in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering. Ideally the candidate will have a minimum of one semester of relevant engineering internship or co-op experience.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Maintaining and enhancing the product integrity / quality / produce-ability of assigned product by:
- Writing, maintaining and training build and test procedures (iWIN).
- Aiding in root-cause determination and disposition of issues, non-conformances or ANDON’s arising from design issues / production processes.
- Learning and adhering to standard business operating documents, regarding the processes required on the assigned program(s).
- Developing or managing technical requirements and hardware configuration.
- Continuous improvement of the processes and requirements client has authority to modify/enforce, by:
- Participating in or leading Lean Events, Value Stream Improvement Plan (VSIP) activities, and recurring reflection meetings / gemba’s.
- Ensuring the implementation of robust corrective actions with Quality Engineering.
- Identifying opportunities and generating/executing plans to reduce waste.
- Evaluating, sustaining, implementing and improving assembly & test methods, fixtures, test equipment and software necessary to build, test, and deliver products and hardware.
- Participating in a cross-functional product team, and other support groups as needed, to execute the completion of the program(s) and initiatives for the product(s) assigned.
- Provide engineering support for:
- Customer inquiries and program communications, with program management direction.
- Technical inquiries and issue resolution from supplier-made parts and processes.
- Internal customers and cross-functions relating to assigned product, and test equipment hardware/software.
- Drawing and/or procedure clarifications to machinists, technicians, and other engineers.
- Understanding and performing engineering analysis using engineering fundamentals and/or computational software for verification of hardware requirements or change/disposition rationale generation.
- Transition, execution and coordination of pre-production development activities.
- Generation, organization, and maintenance of technical data, reports, and procedures produced on assigned programs.
- Timely execution and management of program engineering tasks within an established program budget and scope.
- Aiding in proposal support for future business capture.
Preferred Skills / Software knowledge:
- Documents: iWIN (Labview-based procedure software) / MS Word / MS Excel
- Drawing Standards and Blueprint Reading: Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (ASME Y14.5M-1994 or later)
- Modeling Drafting: NX Unigraphics / Solidworks
- Programming: Labview / Python / Matlab
- Analysis: Matlab / Simulink / ANSYS / Mathcad / MS Excel
- Programmatic: MS Excel / MS Project / Connect (MS Sharepoint) / MS OneNote / MS Outlook / Teamcenter
Preferable behaviors include:
- Self-motivation / self-starting / highly organized
- Clear, concise and timely communication.
- Demonstrating a high level of ownership.
- Maintaining a sense of urgency in addressing technical, schedule and cost problems, while working within functional and cross-functional teams.
- The ability to make timely technical decisions that maintain product integrity, utilizing engineering knowledge, experience and creativity.
- Willingness and ability to adapt and make changes and improvements to meet business needs.
- Capability and drive of defining structure from ambiguity.
- Understanding, practicing and improving on the key Site-level competencies:
- Problem Solving, Continuous Improvement, Coaching/Team Leadership, Planning and Organizing, Visionary Leadership, Maintaining Work Standards
- Empathy and humility towards those around you.