Electrical Engineer (Cymer)
Electrical Engineer (2) Open Roles
Contract 12-18 months M-F 40 hours weekly
Our client is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of lithography systems that help enable Moore’s Law and the creation of increasingly powerful and capable electronic devices. Our CA-based light source division, is renowned for developing both deep ultraviolet (DUV) lithography light sources and next generation extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. As the world’s leading semiconductor equipment manufacturer, Our client enables chipmakers to produce cheaper, speedier chips – and to produce them faster – thereby enabling all the technology you use today. The systems we produce integrate several large and sophisticated machines, themselves each a feat of engineering innovation, precision, and speed.
In the Clients Light Source (CLS) division, we design and manufacture Deep Ultraviolet (DUV) lasers, used directly in the chipmaking process. Far from a basic “consumer” laser, these machines are complex, powerful, and flexible. The lasers we make require: durable and high-speed precise motion-controlled optics to maintain wavelength to femtometer accuracy under high laser powers; advanced materials to endure the harsh Fluorine-rich environments and high powers; clever mechanical designs to allow high performance and fit all the parts within a confined space, but still allow easy manufacturing and servicing; very fast high power electronics and electrical designs to deliver short high voltage pulses at precise timing to control pulse energy within hundredths of a percent; gas flows at hurricane speeds to keep the laser discharge area clear; cutting edge controllers and algorithms to deliver stable and consistent performance and automate all operations; and advanced real-time electronics, firmware and software to control the laser and interact with other equipment. The laser needs to minimize use of expensive or rare resources like energy or Neon gas. It needs to actively control temperatures, pressures, gas concentrations and voltages precisely to maintain good performance. It must react instantly to changing customer demands and environmental conditions. And it needs to do all of this, operating continuously and reliably for months while producing billions of perfect light pulses, without any human intervention or downtime.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Component and Life-cycle Engineer to join our Hardware Controls and Electrical Engineering team to support DUV Lightsource products used in today’s advanced semiconductor photolithography applications. The position is focused on electrical and electronic assembly and component life-cycle & obsolescence. Professional experience in these areas is highly desired. In addition the position requires an engineer with a solid theoretical and practical background in electrical engineering, who can comprehend form, fit, function replacement of alternative components to yield equivalent electrical design performance. This position will be a key contributor in tracking and managing Cymer’s assembly and component life-cycle & obsolescence risk in our DUV Lightsource Product Technology.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require our client to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Duties And Responsibilities:
- Managing external Fabs and design partners on joint design and supply chain longevity projects.
- Develops qualification and test plans for design verification testing.
- Support design engineers in early identification of component life-cycle risks for new and legacy products.
- Support design engineers with the identification, selection, and qualification of replacement parts to address NRND/EOL/obsolete parts. Leads initial technical assessments with regards to Clients ability to resolve obsolescence issues by either components selection or if redesign work is required to overcome obsolescence.
- Sourcing electronic components for existing and new products, packages and electronic sub-assemblies.
- Use of Bill of Material (BOM) life-cycle/obsolescence analysis tools. Execute “where used” analysis to identify Clients products impacted by obsolescence of materials listed in the Clients BOM’s.
- Incorporate Silicon Expert and AVCOM obsolescence data with EOL notices from manufacturers and suppliers into a common database, and collaborate with outside service provider(s) for lifecycle analysis of Cymer BOM’s.
- Create reports to track long term component life-cycle and obsolescence trends and overall risk based roadmaps to help set priorities for engineering and supply chain teams.
- Researching, developing, designing or selecting components for product improvements.
- Providing electrical engineering support for CLS DUV products, electrical design support for emerging R&D projects.
- Understanding/interpreting existing electrical and general engineering documentation.
- Navigating through document/product management software (SILICON EXPERT, AVCOM and AGILE) to access required procedures and documents.
- Work with distributors to screen electronic components for counterfeit risk.
- Provide technical support with regards to long-term storage strategies for last-time-buy electronic components.
- Provide technical inputs to guide last time buys and buffer buys on EOL components with supply chain.
- Updating product documentation to reflect design changes, and author Change Order (CO) requests to incorporate replacement components into released product designs.
- Execute Purchase Parts Requests as necessary.
- Other responsibilities may be added as business conditions arise.
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science.
- Experience with Schematics and PCB Layout design using OrCAD, and PADS (Mentor Graphics).
- Minimum 8 years of relevant work related experience.
- Strong experience in new product and sustaining product development processes.
- Detailed knowledge of component safety and compliance standards required for industrial electronic components and assemblies. Knowledge of SEMI standard strongly desired.
- Familiarity and experience with sourcing issues for electronic and mechanical components.
- Experience with Bill of Materials (BOM) obsolescence analysis tools is preferred.
- Understanding of surface mount (SMT) manufacturing equipment, processes and electronic component packages.
- Fluency in electrical and electronic documentation standards.
- Desirable to have printed Circuit Board (PCB) manufacturing experience.
- Ability to troubleshoot electronics issues using scientific principles.
- General understanding of engineering concepts, principles, and theory with technical experience demonstrating the application of those concepts while ensuring safety and regulatory compliance.
- Experience in data mining, data presentation, and data tracking.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Job Status: Contract/Temporary