Job Type : Permanent
Location/City : MA - Cambridge
Category : Electrical
Region : Northeast
Id : 25649
The purpose of the position is to provide expert electrical systems engineering support to the development of advanced instrumentation for ground and space based astrophysical and astronomical data collection on various Central Engineering projects, as assigned.
1. Uses broad knowledge of electronics and electrical systems state-of-the-art to conceive, plan, and execute complex and varied assignments required to develop advanced instrumentation for astrophysical and astronomical data collection; as well as for its associated test, calibration, and other ground support equipment.
1.1 Conceives, designs, and oversees development of complex state-of-the-art electrical/electronic systems, subsystems, modules, and components. Provides expert technical consultation to CfA scientists and other engineering staff in instrument electrical design.
1.2 Translates scientific objectives into achievable hardware that exploits or extends state-of-the art, advances current technology, and works with scientific investigators to establish the electrical/electronic requirements of new projects. Analyzes scientific data collection requirements, translates these requirements into instrument performance characteristics, and develops instrument concepts and preliminary systems diagrams.
1.3 Performs critical trade-off analyses of various design implementations. Makes and documents recommendations for optimum methods considering both known and anticipated operating environments.
1.4 Evaluates manufacturers’ performance capability data for discrete, hybrid, and integrated circuitry, components, and systems. Incorporates analysis results into design decisions.
1.5 Prepares cost and schedule estimates for hardware design, fabrication, test, and calibration; including supporting documentation.
1.6. Extensively documents work in technical memoranda, reports, test plans, procedures and presentations.
2. Defends proposals to funding agency and/or scientific peer review panels in support of the Principal Investigator. Troubleshoots and analyzes complex technical problems encountered on CE projects, identifies and recommends solutions, and oversees their implementation.
3.From conceptual design through project completion, provides leadership in design, analysis, and documentation. Maintains a technical overview of the project in process, and has ultimate responsibility for the design and test integrity of the contract or project end item. Chooses appropriate technologies, establishes technical priorities, and performs conceptual, systems level, and detail design. Prepares cost estimates, schedules, plans, technical reports, and engineering input to project proposals; supervises engineers, designers, and technicians assigned to the project; and maintains engineering budgets and schedules. Provides technical leadership and direction to, and liaison with, hardware contractors and sub-contractors as required.
4. May serve in Control Account Manager (CAM) role for electronics related tasks on larger projects in addition to other duties.
5. Investigates, selects, justifies, and oversees procurement of critical electrical, electro-optical, and servo-mechanical components used in astrophysical instrumentation and its development.
6. May fill multiple roles on smaller projects, including Project Engineer technical oversight, Project Manager (cost tracking, task estimation), System and Lead Design Engineer, and work directly with drafting design and technicians for building and testing hardware - through delivery.
7. Makes both oral and written presentations to project scientists and technical representatives of contracting agencies and cooperating or affiliated organizations: Either singly or in collaboration with project scientists and other engineers, may write technical papers recording innovative design techniques and criteria, and present papers to technical symposia in the specialty field.
8. Travels, both domestically and internationally, to telescope sites, vendor facilities, NASA centers, , and the facilities of other associated organizations in support of proposal, design, calibration, test, integration, and mission operations activities.
9. Performs other assignments as required.
Occasional travel - May travel both domestically and internationally
|How to Apply:|
|Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com|
|Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job: Electronics Engineer (#25649-MH1639)|