Embedded/Flight Software Engineer
Embedded/Flight Software Engineer
Contract Assignment 12+ Months M-F 40 hours weekly
Position is " Hourly Exempt"
Applicant must be a U.S. Citizen with an active Top Secret (TS) clearance based upon Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) within a 5 year scope and be able to be approved for Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) accesses.
As an Embedded/Flight Software Engineer for the Small Scale Flight Software Group, you will be working for CLIENT's Flight Software and Avionics Systems Section, which provides leadership and unique world-class expertise in Avionics System Engineering, Flight Command and Data Handling (C&DH) Software, Avionics System Integration, Test, Operations, and Software Technology Research.
This position will provide a seasoned software developer the experience in the form of software development activities to implement the test environment infrastructure and test tools to support embedded real-time software testing. Additional role of this position is to implement the Verification and Validation (V&V) program of the embedded real-time software that includes test case specifications, detailed test procedure development, test execution, test result analysis, and defect resolution for the flight software development organization. This role will apply initiative and sound engineering judgment in designing and implementing the test environment, in specifying the test procedure and in executing the test cases that validate software requirements, and to provide support to software developers in resolving problems identified during test.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with the client team, software developers, and system engineers to define test cases, test scenarios, and expected test results. Some level of system engineering activity will be required to effectively perform this role.
- Test the flight software (in both simulation and testbed environments) using test scripts (written in Python) written by the client test engineer.
- Perform flight software build and integration activities.
- Produce documentation or presentation material on the wiki, in Power Point, or Word.
- Work with system administrators and the ‘Ground Data System Integration, Test, and Deployment’ team in maintaining and updating the flight software development environment.
This position typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; a Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 years of related experience; a PhD with 0 years of related experience.
Other requirements include:
- Strong architectural and software development experience in implementing test environment infrastructure and tools to facilitate test script development, test execution, test results visualization, test output analysis to automate success/failure verification, test data archival and search facility.
- General knowledge and experience in the principles, concepts and techniques in developing, testing, and debugging of embedded real-time software systems for mission-critical, aerospace applications.
- Working experience in a Linux operating system for software development and testing.
- Ability to work with hardware test platform consisting of compute elements and other devices for software testing.
- Self-motivated with strong verbal and written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well individually or in a team environment.
- Ability to quickly learn new programming languages, software applications, etc.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience with testing of real-time embedded systems
- Hands-on experience in programming languages
- At least 6 years of C and Python programming experience.
- Experience in performing the role of system engineer to specify testing scenarios