Mechanical Engineer, Senior
Mechanical Engineer- Sr/Principal
Direct Hire, with Benefits
U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident Status is required.
Analyzes and interprets project and customer requirements to develop mechanical designs. Candidate will participate in the mechanical designs of military and commercial products. Designs will include electromechanical packaged assemblies (militarized and commercial), maritime robotics, ground robotics, automated machinery, electric motors and generators. Candidate must be proficient using Solid Works and capable of creating detailed models and drawings to ASME standards. Experience with ANSYS (performing static/dynamic and thermal analysis) is a plus.. The candidate will work with metal fabrication vendors to review welding processes to ensure they meet fabrication specifications. The candidate will oversee assignments of junior engineers and designers, review design packages, and implement processes for good design practices. He/she will be responsible for design and analysis as well as delegating tasks to other engineers, designers and support staff for projects. Candidate will also be responsible for overseeing aspects of prototype build and low rate production build providing technical support and monitoring schedule status.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
1. Electromechanical design, layout and modeling of electro-mechanical assemblies and electronics packaging (using Solidworks)
2. Creation of detail designs and drawings for fabrication
3. Interface with vendors to oversee welding requirements for metal fabricated components.
4. Perform design and drawing checking and approval
5. Perform tolerance analysis, check and approve detail designs and drawings
6. Analysis of complex mechanical systems via ANSYS Workbench implementing both explicit and implicit modeling to study vibration, shock, fluid, structural loading, and thermal responses / performance of the system
7. Implement Design for Manufacturability (DFM) practices.
8. Writing design specifications, and writing proposals.
Design -- Knowledge of design and manufacturing techniques (including sheet metal, machining and welding), tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, drawings, and models. Ability to create and check part and assembly prints. DFM experience desired. Ability to manage all steps of in-house rapid development (develop requirements, create drawing, fabrication and inspection, assembly) of mechanical parts.
Clerical -- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, managing files and records.
Computer Aided Design – Must have experience and be competent with Solid Works. Experience with Solidworks Sheetmetal design tool preferred.
Drafting – Must have experience with creation of detailed drawing and geometric tolerancing (ASME Y14.5).
Computer- Experience with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project
Computer Aided Design – Experience with PTC CREO for part, assembly and drawing creation.
Finite Element Analysis- Experience performing structural/dynamic and thermal analysis (preferably with ANSYS Workbench).
Thermal Analysis – Experience with resistance flow modeling is desired. Ability to develop analytical models for both forced and free convection systems in Excel or MathCAD.
Structural Analysis – A strong understanding of structural systems and system dynamics is desired.
1. 5-8 years experience in mechanical design (preferably employed in DoD industry).
2. Proven design experience with all phases of development.
3. Proven DFM experience with fielded products.
4. Proficient with GD&T practices.
5. Extensive knowledge of sheet metal, machined and welding fabrication processes.
6. Mechanical Engineering BS or equivalent, MS preferred.