Mechanical Engineer - Machine Design or Robotics
Contract Position 3+ months Potential to extend
M-F 40 hours weekly
Position Requires U.S. citizenship
Candidate will facilitate and participate in mechanical design changes and support production of military and commercial maritime products. Products will include UUV’s, electromechanical packaged assemblies (militarized and commercial), robotics and automated machinery.
The candidate will be responsible for designing, building, debugging and developing wide ranging mechanical devices, mechanisms, machinery, and robotic sub systems. Most projects will have challenging requirements such as operating in harsh environments, shallow to moderate depths in sea water, operating in long, narrow, confined spaces, and/or corrosive environments.
This individual will be responsible for developing, evaluating, selecting, and implementing creative concepts to solve these types of problems with minimal complexity and at reasonable cost.
Candidate should be proficient using 3-D Solid Modeling software (Solidworks and PTC Creo preferable) and have an understanding of manufacturing and testing practices. The candidate will create and implement design changes, and act as an engineering liaison to manufacturing and quality.
The candidate will also provide technical input new business products and proposals. The candidate shall also be “hands-on” with abilities support mechanical design and product issues related to various DOD pre-production and production programs.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Electromechanical design, layout and modeling of electro-mechanical assemblies (using Solidworks and PTC Creo), machinery and mechanisms.
- Perform structural, dynamic and thermal analysis.
- Create design specifications.
- Resolve manufacturing and quality issues, and report on equipment build status.
- Interface with customers on a project engineering level.
- Perform design and drawing checking and approval.
- Create non-conformance reports, and provide technical justification for material disposition.
- Interface with vendors ensuring “Design for Manufacturability” practices.
- Creation of detail designs and drawings for fabrication.
- Writing reports, presenting technical internal and customer presentations
Design – Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models. Proven history of designing maritime products, including deep sea product design.
Computer Aided Design – Must have experience with PTC Creo, Solidworks experience a plus.
Analysis – Must have experience with Stress, Thermal, CFD, Mil-Std-901D shock and vibration. Experience with ANSYS Workbench for stress and thermal analysis a plus.
Drafting – Must have experience with creation of detailed drawing and geometric tolerancing (ASME Y14.5).
ERP/MRP- Must have experience in utilizing manufacturing ERP software systems in a production environment.
Communication- Must demonstrate excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
Computer- Experience with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- 5-7+ years’ experience in mechanical design.
- Design of maritime systems and hardware
- Capable of following mechanical programs from inception through system integration
- Extensive experience in selection of mechanical drive components, such as servo and stepper motors, gears, timing belts, timing chains, lead screws
- Knowledge of sheet metal fabrication, machining processes
- Experience with welding standards and practices.
- Experience in processing Engineering Changes to documentation on DoD programs.
- Mechanical Engineering BS (or equivalent), MS preferred.