Mechatronics Design Engineer - Controls
Mechatronics Design Engineer - Controls
- Design and develop custom mechatronics systems with a cross sector team, including translating stages, linear motors, sensors, servos, actuators, dynamics, controls, etc.
- Troubleshoot designs to determine potential risks, failure modes, and corrective actions.
- Responsible for “sustaining engineering” tasks, resolving equipment design issues in a timely fashion as they arise at customer sites.
- Participate in concept designs and experiments for future equipment and subsystems.
- Run complex mechatronic systems for test and qualification of design changes.
- Design quality products using six sigma and lean process techniques for robust designs.
- Create documentation for product designs and operations to be used in a clean manufacturing environment.
- Work with external suppliers to define and develop certain aspects of new product design while collaborating with internal cross discipline teams.
- Take direction from System Architects and Senior Engineer mentors who are leading the development effort of critical large capital equipment.
- Occasional travel to Europe, Asia and within the US can be expected.
BS (MS preferred) in a relevant Engineering field (Mechatronics, Mechanical, Electrical, etc.) or equivalent experience.
- 3-7 years of experience.
- Mechatronics engineering background or specialization in closely related areas such as robotics or other fields.
- Experience with PID controllers, linear and nonlinear calibrations, flexible dynamics.
- Experience with magnetic linear actuators and magnetic levitation systems a plus.
- Basic experience with mechatronics behavior predictive modeling and methods in MATLAB/SIMULINK or similar tools, including “first principle” engineering equations and other techniques, particularly applied to control system simulation and implementation.
- Ability to apply “classical control theory” and “digital control theory” including frequency domain, stability (Nyquist/Bode plots), Velocity-Acceleration-Jerk (VAJ), feedback/feedforward, dynamics, gain and phase, transfer functions, continuous/discrete feedback control, real time controls, etc.
- Ability to derive conclusions from analyses and make practical recommendations.
- Strong technical writing and communication skills in English, including presenting results based on strong statistical evidence to audiences of a wide range of technical abilities.
- Exposure to multi-disciplinary projects, such as imaging/optical systems, semiconductor, or lithography preferred but not required.
- Customer-oriented and willing to work with high level problem solvers on a daily basis.
- Genuine interest in mechatronics engineering and analysis, as well as in developing precision systems that can perform reliably at customer sites.
- High-energy, quick study with flexible nature.
- Self-motivated team player with strong desire to learn and ability to handle multiple projects and tasks concurrently and with minimal guidance.
- High potential to develop into a technical or personal leader in the organization.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- A challenging opportunity to expand your knowledge in a wide variety of engineering application areas and to work on problems spanning all technical fields.
- Highly creative and qualified teams with a diversity of experience.
- Great career opportunities at a quickly growing high-tech company.
- World class technical problems to solve.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.