Mechatronics / Robotics Design Engineer
Contract M-F 40 hours weekly, 12-18 months
Our client pushes the boundaries of nano-technology beyond current state of the art, we have a need to develop high precision equipment while maintaining a focus on cost effectiveness and reliability. We are looking for someone to help pioneer knowledge in this developing area.
A well-rounded mechatronics engineer in this position will work on mechatronics, sub-nanometer linear motion control, product and system integration and software functionality, all specific to Client products. The main focus will be mechatronics and control systems on advanced modules in lithography tools. Candidate should have direct experience in the design and test of mechatronic systems and control systems, preferably in the area industrial robotics integration.
Occasional travel to Europe, Asia and within the US can be expected.
- Design and develop custom mechatronics systems with a cross sector team, including translating stages, linear motors, sensors, servos, actuators, etc.
- Integration of control systems for industrial robotics into capital equipment, including all aspects such as dynamics, end effector design, controls, etc.
- Incorporate classical and advanced control theory for servo tuning of the end product.
- Troubleshoot designs to determine potential risks, failure modes, and corrective actions.
- Responsible for “sustaining engineering” tasks, resolving equipment design issues in a timely fashion as they arise at customer sites.
- Participate in concept designs and experiments for future equipment and subsystems.
- Run complex mechatronic systems for test and qualification of design changes.
- Design quality products using six sigma and lean process techniques for robust designs.
- Create documentation for product designs and operations to be used in a clean manufacturing environment
- Work with external suppliers to define and develop certain aspects of new product design while collaborating with internal cross discipline teams.
- Take direction from Client System Architects and Senior Engineer mentors who are leading the development effort of critical large capital equipment.
Competencies and Skills
- Mechatronics engineering background or specialization in closely related areas such as robotics or other fields.
- Experience with PID controllers, linear and nonlinear calibrations, flexible dynamics.
- Basic experience with mechatronics behavior predictive modeling and methods in MATLAB / SIMULINK or similar tools, including “first principle” engineering equations and other techniques, particularly applied to control system simulation and implementation.
- Ability to apply “classical control theory” and “digital control theory” including frequency domain, stability (Nyquist / Bode plots), Velocity-Acceleration-Jerk (VAJ), feedback / feedforward, dynamics, gain and phase, transfer functions, continuous / discrete feedback control, real time controls, etc.
- Ability to derive conclusions from analyses and make practical recommendations.
- Strong technical writing and communication skills in English, including presenting results based on strong statistical evidence to audiences of a wide range of technical abilities
- Exposure to multi-disciplinary projects, such as imaging / optical systems, semiconductor, or lithography preferred but not required.
- BS (MS preferred) in a relevant Engineering field (Mechatronics, Mechanical, Electrical, etc.) with 3-7 years of experience
- Customer-oriented and willing to work with high level problem solvers on a daily basis.
- Genuine interest in mechatronics engineering and analysis, as well as in developing precision systems that can perform reliably at customer sites
- High-energy, quick study with flexible nature.
- Self-motivated team player with strong desire to learn and ability to handle multiple projects and tasks concurrently and with minimal guidance.
- High potential to develop into a technical or personal leader in the organization.
Job Status: Contract/Temporary