Optical Metrology Engineer
Optical Alignment Engineer/Techncian
Contract M-F 40 hours weekly 6-9+ months
MUST HAVE ACTIVE TS/SCI
We are looking for a strong Quality Assurance Engineer responsible for the following:
- Design, propose and implement optical alignment solutions and methods for complex flight project needs.
- Involves the application of advanced optical metrology principles to independently conceive plans to solve difficult alignment problems that are multifaceted and cross-disciplinary in nature.
- Develop test documentation and compose test plans that meet project requirements and work with cross-functional teams to plan work flow.
- Provide alignment, mapping and measurement services to a variety of customers, help multi-discipline teams solve complex problems, and report results verbally and in writing.
- Analyze measured data to help engineering teams to verify final system requirements, ensure the integrity of your data, and be able to provide services across multiple projects simultaneously, maintaining both project schedules and measurement dependability.
- Apply advanced knowledge in field to review engineering drawings and plans, explain and negotiate measurement approaches and work to established plans and schedules.
- Also be expected to identify subtle alignment issues early, address them quickly, and provide constructive feedback and recommendations on plans developed by others.
- Assess risks real-time and use engineering judgment to call a Halt/Stop to work when risks are deemed to be unacceptable during fabrication, integration, and/or test.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Mechanical, Manufacturing, Aerospace Engineering, or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 9 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 7 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 5 years related experience.
- Advanced knowledge in Optical Metrology and Alignment, along with one or more of the following areas: Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing, Dimensional Inspection techniques, Quality Engineering, Configuration Management, or Manufacturing processes.
- Ability to evaluate and understand the special challenges and nuances of 3D alignment equipment and making precision measurements on spacecraft, support and test equipment, facilities, and other associated aerospace hardware.
- An understanding of calibration and measurement errors, and their impacts on results is critical.
- Experience in a large aerospace company.
- Advanced knowledge of applicable industry and standards in design, engineering, fabrication, integration, test and launch of space-flight hardware.
- Demonstrated proficiency in mechanical hardware assurance methods (inspection, test, analysis).
- Advanced experience using Spatial Analyzer software, using theodolites, laser trackers, portable coordinate measuring scan arms , and the ability to effectively interpret results. Photogrammetry experience is a plus but not mandatory.
- Understanding of risks and risk management approaches.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills, and effective interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Good time management ability.
- Willing to work both in teams and be able to define and complete work in a self-directed manner.
AN ACTIVE TS/SCI SECURITY CLEARANCE IS REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
Desired additional qualifications: experience using Spatial Analyzer software, and an understanding of electromechanical, optical and mechanical manufacturing processes and associated inspection methods, understanding of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001, AS9100, etc.), Process Variation, and Deming’s approach to Systems. Previous experience as a Quality Assurance Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Process Engineer, Test Engineer, and/or Design Engineer.
Work Authorization - U.S. Citizen
Job Status: Contract/Temporary