Senior Materials and Conditioning Engineer, Contract
Contract > 40 hours weekly, 12-18 months
Role and responsibilities
Performs a variety of engineering tasks including providing inputs in designing & using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools to analyze subassemblies and modules from a concept phase to a final design. Creates and evaluates designs to meet requirements of specified applications. Proficient in finite element analysis, including existing commercial tools, requirements for mesh generation, detailed treatment of boundary conditions, structural analysis, dynamic & modal analysis, thermal analysis & Multi-physics analysis dealing with fluids and solid interactions. Develops in-depth physics understanding of designs to predict & prevent failure modes. Researches and selects future key suppliers for consideration as turn-key providers of sub-systems. Develops resolutions to critical issues and broad design matters. Works on issues that impact design/selling success or address future concepts, products, or technologies. May assist in the negotiation of major contracts involving large dollar amounts.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manages a light source sub-system project through direct technical advice, schematics/design, approvals, and collaboration with Development Engineering team.
- Provides a broad mechanical engineering design background and performs mechanical engineering analysis using commercial FEA tools including structural, dynamic including modal, vibrations, & thermal analysis.
- Assumes engineering responsibility for component and subassembly test development, data acquisition, analysis, and reporting.
- Maintain and update module level requirement docs.
- Where necessary increase group competence by literature research, experimental testing or supervision of external research partners.
- Negotiate, define, document and present the specifications of architecture or subsystem.
- Contribute, participate and define conceptual design during specification phases and ensure design qualifies & work as intended, in specification phases.
- Translate and perform function specifications into design, tested and released hardware.
- Evaluate various design options and down select and optimize the best solution.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Regular reviews/carousels with projects:
- Review new designs & design changes on industrialization aspects (manufacturability, serviceability, modularity, etc.).
- Monitor progress on reaching their system specifications.
- Identify and solve cross-project issues. Involve SE (System Engineer) in case of important trade off.
Education and experience
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- With Bachelor's degree, ideally specializing in Finite element and a minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience.
- Will consider a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, specializing in Finite element analysis and a minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience.
- Experience with doing structural, dynamic & thermal analysis on piece parts and complete systems required.
- Experience with verification and validation of Finite element analysis models with experimental analysis desired.
- NAFEMS PSE (Ref. www.nafems.org) certification desired.
- Specialist in advanced technical skills. Individuals with a customer focus have developed the acumen to cultivate and develop lasting customer relations. Requires experience with product development.
- Previous experience with Semiconductor industry desired.
- Expertise in Structural, dynamic & thermal analysis using Ansys Workbench is desired.
- Expertise in Multiphysics analysis dealing with multiphase elements using Comsol is desired.
- Expertise in doing FEA analysis of brittle materials like glass and ceramic is desired.
- Expertise in doing FEA analysis on Adhesives is desired.
- In-depth knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience in solid modeling, Siemens NX desired.
- Experience in PLM software–Siemens Teamcenter desired.
- Experience with phased new product development processes from concept through full production release.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats is required.
- Demonstrated creativity in solving complex design problems.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- Experience working in a team and have ability to mentor younger engineers.
- Requires strong project management skills in managing projects/activities.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.