Contract 3 years, 40 hours weekly
Local candidates, work on site
· Active secret clearance highly preferred but will review candidates who can obtain an interim clearance should they meet the qualifications.
Job Responsibilities to include but not limited to:
- The successful candidate must exercise strong team building skills to work closely with other teams in other Infrastructure and Laboratory Research areas to provide high quality support services and value to the VDI environment.
- VMWare tools and plan/scope upgrades with minimal user impact
- Provide support during update, upgrade and enhancement events
- Develop and provide metrics to track systems’ status, performance, capacity, and forecasting system capacity requirements / improvements (VMWare/Microsoft Office Suite)
- Tune platforms to ensure expected availability and performance levels are achieved
- Maintain frequent contact with multiple IT support teams and end users to maintain communications related to compliance, problem resolution, and associated services
- Contribute to the development of operations, management, integration & security requirements in alignment with Laboratory policy
- Ensure system and architectures are maintained, updated and upgraded as required from external vendor recommendations and in alignment with Laboratory policy
- Provide 2nd & 3rd level support to customers and other administrative staff in area of expertise. Respond to requests and resolve issues and problems using ticketing system.
- Review and participate in the department’s change management program. Report and provide updates as required to the department’s change management board.
- Ensure all devices are under configuration management and remain current and up to date (Server hardware, virtual machines, etc.)
- Monitor performance metrics and log data for continuous improvement and tuning.
- Participate in all project activities accordingly to ensure on time deliverables are met including day to day planning and coordination with customers and internal teams. This includes adjusting plans and schedules as necessary to meet changing business requirements.
- Evaluation of new tools, services or products as well as changes to existing products and services. Participation in development and maintenance of security infrastructure roadmap.
- Develops, publishes, and maintains system documentation (e.g. Requirements, Design/Build, Testing, and SOP) according to department standards.
- Perform all related duties as assigned.
- Note: The selected candidate will be assigned to a specific technical team, under the direction of the ISD Enterprise Technology and Tools Sector
- Demonstrated expertise with the VMware Horizon View environment including Connection Servers, Desktop Pools, vCenter, thin/zero clients, including but not limited to:
- Using VMware's Dynamic Environment Manager (DEM) for user profile management
- Using App Volumes to virtualize applications
- Knowledge of ESX cluster running on a Cisco HX HCI cluster
- Expert ability to install, configure, optimize, and maintain VMware Horizon View
- Experience configuring the VMware Horizon Client, Dell Thin Clients, ThinOS and/or Dell Wyse Management Suite
- Expert hands on administration experience with VMware tools including ESX, ESXi/vSphere, vCenter, vMotion, DRS, and other virtualization technologies and concepts.
- The ability to work with vendors (VMware, Cisco, Dell) to set expectations, address issues, and resolve them in a timely manner.
- Possesses a deep understanding of VMware core components and their relation to storage and networking, and be proficient in datacenter design methodologies.
- Strong fundamental knowledge with Active Directory Administration, GPOs
- Strong overall network skills (e.g. routing, switching and TCP/IP protocol)
- Strong foundational skills in organizing and managing technical projects
- Strong scripting experience as well as experience with task automation (Powershell)
- Ability to work independently toward delivery of goals as well as collaborate in team efforts
- Demonstrate the ability to learn new technologies and disciplines quickly
- Ability to document processes and procedures.
- Ability to coordinate efforts with other technology teams including Desktop Engineering, Networking and Client Services.
- Excellent customer service skills and exceptional customer facing skills are required
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- VMWare Certifications
- Experience with VDI Assessment Tools such as Liquidware Stratusphere
- Desktop as a Service experience
- Application virtualization
· Preferred: BS or MS and at least one certification with 8-10 years of applicable experience.
· Relevant experience and certifications will be taken into account should the candidate not possess a BS or MS.